Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) Services
An Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) is a standardized format for reporting the environmental impacts of a product throughout its entire life cycle. An EPD provides information on the product’s energy use, greenhouse gas emissions, water use, waste generation, and other environmental impacts. It is based on the life cycle assessment (LCA) methodology, which looks at the environmental impact of a product from the extraction of raw materials to the disposal of the final product.
An EPD is intended to be a transparent and objective tool for comparing the environmental performance of different products and to provide a basis for making informed decisions. EPDs can be used in a variety of ways, such as for eco-labeling, green procurement, and product certification. EPDs are usually developed by the manufacturer or supplier of a product, and are verified by an independent third-party organization to ensure accuracy and credibility. Also, EPDs are based on international standards such as ISO 14025 and ISO 21930.
Companies looking to register EPDs can benefit from the assistance of an external LCA practitioner, and we can help along the EPD process. LCA Design Corporation conducts LCAs based on ISO 14040/44 standards and is also in compliance with ISO 14025:2006 standards for developing Type III environmental declaration programmes and Type III environmental declarations.
LCA Design can help your company through:
- Product category rules (PCR) selection consultation
- Life cycle flow mapping for stages as defined in PCR
- Life cycle inventory in excel
- Collect measured data from the company
- Identify data gaps and uncertainties
- Engineering estimates for unknowns
- Model product system in LCA software
- Conduct sensitivity analysis to test LCA robustness
- Compile environmental metrics results into the LCA report
- Transfer results from the LCA report into the EPD document
If you would like to learn more, please contact us.